Friday, September 19, 2008

Song

Do you ever wake up with a song in your head that came from who-knows-where? I remembered this tune, and sorta had some of the words, so I looked it up and found out it's pretty old--written in 1715 by an Englishman named Isaac Watts. If you want to hear the music, just do a Google search and you'll find something.

I Sing the Mighty Power of God

I sing the mighty power of God, that made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at his command, and all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord, who filled the earth with food,
Who formed the creatures through the Word, and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where’er I turn my eye,
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky.

There’s not a plant or flower below, but makes Thy glories known,
And clouds arise, and tempests blow, by order from Thy throne;
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care;
And everywhere that we can be, Thou, God art present there.


Jean

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

How is it that I wake up singing TV jingles or something like that? And you sing this?

No matter.

Simply, thank you.

Jean Sullivan said...

Okay--I grew up in a church where we actually used to sing this stuff--it's cool, huh? And when you think of our world's financial system tottering like a drunken sailor, and kids getting sick, and, and, and...it's good to remember that old saying that although we might not know what the future holds, we know Who holds the future.

Jean

Anonymous said...

Yes! A good, old Methodist-type hymn! I grew up singing these songs, and I LOVE them! They hold some beautiful truths about our awesome God!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I get super busy and miss a few days and look at the super news here! PTL for Annie's progress and the new words. Praying for continued progress and healing.

Anonymous said...

I did just what Jean suggested - I googled the hymn - and found a very cool website "www.digitalhymnal.org"
what a resource! Specifically, check out the link on how to use the site. Someone has a heart for 'the old hymns' here.
Thanks Jean!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness HE holds the future!

t

Anonymous said...

Methodist type hymn? :) Interesting... I grew up in the Baptist churches and we sang them too.