Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Plan

Well, since this weekend, Annie's gotten back up to a grand total of 25 ml./hr. of formula through her j-tube. If you remember, she was up to her goal rate of 62 ml./hr. when we were discharged, which only lasted for about 24 hours after we came home. Why? I. don't. know. So for now, we've decided to feed her via TPN, or PPN (partial parenteral nutrition) for the foreseeable future. She will have a central line placed later this week. She already has begun receiving nutrition through her IV, and is perking up from that, as well as the IV fluids she's getting.

Annie's gut may need more time to recover, or it might not recover--you never know until time passes. We will continue trying to advance the rate on her j-tube feeds, but if she can't do it, she'll at least be getting enough food through the central line. Now, the downside of parenteral nutrition is the risk of infection, as well as the increased nursing requirements of administering it. But Annie needs food, and TPN/PPN is what she can do for now.

So that's the latest. We appreciate your prayers for strength and endurance for all of us, and healing for Annie.

Jean

For who is God, except the Lord?
And who is a rock, except our God?
It is God who arms me with strength,
And makes my way perfect.  Psalm 18:31-32

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you often!!! I've been reading your latest posts and haven't even known what to say. To be honest I've been more than frustrated for you. I pray that help and healing comes soon. I pray that you may have some rest and that your burden will be lighter. Hang in there! Much love,
Tanya

Jean said...

Thanks, Tanya. Your prayers (and frustration) are appreciated!! I think with Annie's chronic illness, my expectations have evolved from wanting to "fix" things to learning to accept the limitations we have to work around, which, in turn, makes me look forward to heaven all the more.

Marilyn said...

Praying for daily strength and mercies that are new every morning.

Gretchen said...

I'm with Tanya. And in His mercy, He imparts wisdom through your response, once again. Praying. xxxooo

Valerie said...

Annie, Annie, Annie....
I met your mom and helped her with the pretty shoes she will be wearing to a special gathering of friends and family to celebrate you and your sweetness that has touched the lives of many.
You touched mine as your mom told me of your story, a story that I know something about myself.
I will hold your family in my prayers as they continue their lives holding you now more closely in their hearts
and I will wish for you the eternal peace and joy you are now basking.

Blessings
Valerie