Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday night, March 25th

Olivia and I were at Barnes and Noble yesterday to get Taylor a gift certificate for his birthday, and I saw the book that Bob Woodruff and his wife wrote, "In An Instant," so I bought it. If you recall, he is the ABC news anchor who sustained a head injury when a roadside bomb went off beside his humvee. In reading about their experience with traumatic brain injury, it's somehow encouraging to note that progress with any kind of brain injury is a slow, painstaking process. The agitation, disorientation, and confusion are all part of it.

What is also encouraging to me is remembering how far Annie has come in just 2 months--the initial seizure, coma, respirator, what seemed to be paralysis and blindness, etc. Today she is breathing on her own, standing with assistance, looking around at everyone, reading her Disney "Princess" book, and humming in response to our words to her. Being the impatient person that I am, though, that isn't enough!! I want her to TALK TO ME for crying out loud!!

Okay, calm down. After we got home from church today, we took a stroll around the neighborhood, organized the pile of medical paraphernalia in her bedroom, (and hid it in her closet), and practiced standing, sitting, and brushing her teeth. Tonight we'll do some water therapy...never thought you could call getting a bath "water therapy," did you?

The verses below from the book of James come to my mind alot--the whole idea of learning patience through these kinds of situations, and of course, in every area of our lives. I don't feel like I'm doing such a hot job being patient, but I thought you might appreciate that I have goals.

Thanks again for your prayers--we are so grateful for each prayer, and we know that God is answering them.

Jean

Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door! Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy. James 5:7-11

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

When I was working in inpatient rehab, one of my patients was a 16 y.o. girl who had a congenital vascular (blood supply) defect which caused a massive brainstem stroke (not much worse than hitting all vital functions). When she came into the hospital, she had a PEG, was vent-dependent, etc...I remember her not being able to tolerate any food and/or walk/talk. By God's mercy and grace, I got to treat her after she had come off the vent, got to be the one who gave her the green light for swallowing regular food (of course she wanted to chew gum!), got to treat her emerging speech and language skills, and got to see her walk out of the hospital with an eye patch, ready to study for her driving exam and train for softball season. Yes, Bob Woodward's story gives me hope. This 16 y.o.'s story gives me hope, and Annie Sullivan gives me hope. God's glory is so big. You once taught me to change "my little thinking" (I think when you taught us about Ruth last fall). Again, with God's grace and mercy, I will strive to change that little thinking. God bless Annie and all of you. To God be the glory.

much love,
Gretchen

Jean Sullivan said...

Gretchen--those stories keep me going. Thanks for sharing!

Love you,

Jean

Anonymous said...

Contined thanks for keeping updates on Annie for all to read. I still think about Annie and the entire Sullivan family daily. Prayers continually go out for complete healing, patience and strength. Praise God for how far along Annie has come.

Anonymous said...

Remember what someone (who?) said about talking...recite songs or sayings that Annie knows, and leave a gap for her to fill in..."Three blind mice, three blind mice, see how they run, see how they _____..." If she gives it a go, praise her abundantly. Watch what happens. Play her favorite songs and sing along with them and her. Sing to her at every opportunity. You can even teach her some new songs!
I think I need to go have some water therapy :) Good night, all!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Annie,

Belated Happy Birthday. Its nice to hear that you had a good celebration.

The Coronacion Family