Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tuesday, March 20th

Spending 52 days at Children's Hospital helped me adjust my attitude about what happened to Annie. I looked around the cafeteria and walked through the halls and began to get a picture of how many people experience difficult and even tragic circumstances with their children. After Annie's seizure, I felt like I couldn't even breathe the first month...and then I looked around and saw: we've got THE best support network in the hospital. Annie's got the best room. The most stuffed animals. (I didn't buy any of them--you guys did!) She's got the best dad. The most courageous brothers and sister. And a Father in heaven who can part the Red Sea, make the lame walk, the blind see, the mute speak, and raise the dead.

So--we are hopeful. Annie's like a turtle peeking her head out of her shell; reaching her hands and feet out to see if it's safe to come out and greet the world. Every day she makes more progress, and that is gas in my tank. Today we practiced standing, sitting, eating, reaching for toys, and brushing her teeth. Her speech therapist, BJ, came and helped her eat chocolate pudding and a bit of yogurt--neither of which came back up. (This is how I measure success.) Her eyes have begun to track with toys, and she's been looking at everything and everyone more and more. And after her bath tonight, I saw a brief little smile as I was putting her pjs on her. Every day a little more progress.

Pray for strength in her right arm/hand, which is weaker than the left. Also, that she begin to eat and swallow food, not just let it sit in her mouth. And please keep praying for rest at night for everyone.

I know you are praying. :-)

Jean

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie,

WoW - It is so exciting to hear good news! Less meds, more purposeful movements, tracking with toys, sitting up and standing, playing and keeping your rice cereal down! Sounds like fun and a bunch of work all at the same time. Your hair looks lovely, much nicer this way! it shows off your beautiful eyes! I would like to go to your house and take you out for a walk around the block. We could look at all the pretty flowers, and see all the trees in bloom. Sleep good tonight Sullivan family.

Blessings - Fran

Gretchen said...

Hi Annie and Fam,

I can't wait to come play with Annie next week! Wonderful new 'do.

love,
Gretchen

Tracey said...

Awesome, Jean! Awesome, Annie!!...
Awesome Bill, Awesome brothers and sister...

Awesome God.

Blessings and prayers...and honor and glory and power...