Monday, July 7, 2008

Twelve days of no seizures!

I believe this is a record. I can't remember the last time she went this long with no seizures. Annie is so chatty, smiley, and yesterday she even started making kissing noises with her lips. She is just so darn cute. (Yeah, your kids are too.) I keep thinking I need to do another video.

I've been putting her in the walker-gait trainer for a little longer each time, and she's getting the hang of it, with less screaming. "Less" being the operative word. Anyway--the gait trainer thing is going to work I think, at least to keep her upright and exercising her legs.

This evening, Bill took her for a stroll around the church while I watered some plants, and after we got home and I carried her back into the house, I asked Annie, "Where is that pretty girl in the mirror?" She turned to look behind her and then quickly looked in front of her and found the mirror, and that little blond, blue-eyed girl. For months, we would stand in the entryway and she showed absolutely no interest in the mirror or who was in it. Now, it is so exciting to SEE her look and comprehend what I'm saying.

I'll tell you, after spending months of feeding information into that little head, and not knowing if any of it was sinking in, that ready smile, bright eyes, and happy response is such an answer to prayer. I think that as she begins to eat, and move her tongue around, she'll add to her repetoire of sounds, and then begin to talk. Her sounds are changing as it is, and she is beginning to mimic sounds, volume, and rhythm on command. She also gets completely quiet and listens carefully when I sing her favorite songs. (Or maybe she's just hoping I'll stop.) Anyway--huge steps, no seizures.

Jean

On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many. 1 Corinthians 1:10-11

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jean I am so thrilled to hear of Annie's progress! What a way to start my morning! She is really "getting it" and I too think that as she starts to get the hang of things again, she is going to shoot forward. Sending prayers.

Sue Powell

Anonymous said...

Annie,
Grace, Aileen, Tyler and I are proud of you. We keep praying for your brain function to run smoother. Not all of our bodies cooperate like we would like them to. You can just see my knee for proof. I banged it trying to walk around the coffee table and Voila, a nice bruise! So I can understand your trepidation with the gait trainer. Please try it though, bruises don't last and we know you'll be outrunning us all as soon as you get the hang of it. Don't give up Annie, you're doing GREAT!
We love you, Lorraine, Grace, Aileen and Tyler
We send kisses and hugs to you and Millie and all your family!

Anonymous said...

So exciting to read Annie's progress ... Just checking in on Annie's blog and so good to connect faces after all this time! Continued prayers for Annie's recovery and strength and peace for you all. MaryS. RN

Anonymous said...

Jean, what kind of gait trainer does Annie have? I was looking at some online and just curious. And yah a video would be a VERY good idea! :)

Sue Powell

Anonymous said...

Video, video... we wanna see!!! :)

Sue Powell

Anonymous said...

Jean and Annie,
Jean, you are a beautiful role model. We are going through very different trials but you inspire me and give me hope.
Annie, someday you will be profoundly happy that you were given the mother you have. When that day comes, be sure to tell your mother how much you love her.

God bless you and keep you both, Su. The Lord is our Shepherd......

uncle jeff said...

I am happy hearing the excitement in your prose, Jean:)

Annie- I am praying for you,,,

love,,,

Anonymous said...

Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Try that sound, Annie! It's a nutty cheer these days...and we are ALL cheering for YOU!!!

Ps 18:29 For by You I can run against a troop, By my God I can leap over a wall.

Isa 35:6 Then the lame shall leap like a deer, And the tongue of the dumb sing. For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness, And streams in the desert.

Lu 6:23 Rejoice in that day and leap for joy!

etc, etc, :-)

Jean Sullivan said...

Thanks, everyone, for your encouraging posts! Today (the 9th) is day 14--no seizures.

Jean

Anonymous said...

Yippeeeeeeeee... rejoicing with you!!!! Yay Annie! Yay Jean and Bill! Yay GOD!!! Someday you are going to be able to show all of this to Annie and help her to see just what a miracle girl she is and how much God loves her... AND how blessed she is to have you and Bill for her parents, and such wonderful brothers and sisters!

Sue Powell

Anonymous said...

Jean, just checking in. I don't know how often you read this but want to make sure you know I follow it faithfully -- don't post every time I read but I am here... caring and praying. I rejoice in every step of progress Annie makes and ache with you when things are not going so well. You have become very special to me through this.

Sue Powell

Anonymous said...

Phew.
That's all.
Just "phew"!!!!

love,
Beth (ot beth)

Anonymous said...

I've been 'gone' for awhile.
So glad there is so much good news these days.
May this be The Corner Turned, may that light at the tunnel's end be clear, bright, and freeing. No, it is not a train.
She's in there.
Here she comes....

Your writing is a blessing, Jean. You express yourself so well, I can hear you saying it all. May the sound of these encouraging 14 days resonate continually; may God keep adding seizureless day after seizureless day mixed with motions and sounds and smiles in the mirror. We await His complete healing of her, and continue praying in that vein even as we rejoice with you in each step forward, and pray encouragement and peace for you through setbacks.

Love you all,
T

Gretchen said...

I'm beyond thrilled at what God is doing in Annie!!!! Praise His holy name. He sure knew what He was doing when He created the Sullivan family.

Hugs & yahoos! Xxxooogjh